Tuesday 16 June 2009

SOTD 5: Built To Spill - The Plan (1999)

This is another band I only got into recently, but as I read on audiophinyl, Built To Spill really did lay the foundations for bands like Death Cab for Cutie. I'm a big fan of Death Cab, but Built To Spill definitely let go a little more and this is very evident on "The Plan". Today's track comes from the album Keep It Like A Secret which is a must have for any fans of melodic rock.

"The Plan" is a really well composed rock song, but the stand out, like in so many BTS songs, is the guitar work which really brings the song into a new league. It's not just effects, Doug Martsch and Jim Roth both have really cool styles and that is evident here in piles. The song is built on a really nice, lazy groove which keeps it rolling along.

Most of all, this is a sweet and melodic song. Lyrically it seems to point to people, the world over, speaking of plans and never following them with actions, and you can view that however you like. Is it a political statement? I don't know. But I do know this a great song to enjoy through the summer!


(This video shows clever usage of the song, so I thought I'd choose this over some video of the band captured on a mobile phone. Also, I don't know much about skateboarding, but I do know Marc Johnson is cool as hell and seems like a decent bloke!)




Built To Spill - The Plan